Texas Sales Tax Holiday / Tax Free Weekend Coming August 11-13
Ready to do a little tax-free shopping this summer? The Texas Tax Free weekend has been scheduled for August 11 – 13, 2016.
This year’s Sales Tax Holiday is Aug. 11 – 13. As in previous years, the law exempts most clothing, footwear, school supplies and backpacks priced less than $100 from sales and use taxes, which could save shoppers about $8 on every $100 they spend.
Here are a few tips to help plan your purchases so you can maximize your savings:
- Both in-store purchases AND online purchase qualify for this exemption.
- The tax free exemption counts toward any valid item under $100, even if you wind up spending more than $100 in a single transaction. For example, if you buy three kids each a new pair of $50 sneakers, your $150 worth of purchases are all tax-free.
- Items over $100 are still charged sales tax — so you can’t buy a $200 coat and only pay sales tax on $100 of it.
- Lay-away plans can be used to help spread costs out across several paycheck cycles, so check and see if your store offers it! You’ll qualify for tax-free if you either a) put the item on layaway during the weekend, or b) make the final payment on a previously laid-away item during the weekend.
- Messenger bags and backpacks with wheels qualify for tax free exemptions, as long as they can be worn on the body like a traditional backpack. Wheeled luggage sadly doesn’t qualify.
- Baby clothes and diapers are tax free as well — so this is a terrific weekend to coupon for baby gear!
More information about what items can be purchased is available on the Texas Comptroller’s website